Sunday, January 25, 2009

What indignity!

March 30, 708CC, 2nd day of Darkmoon

That racist, inconsiderate, narrow-minded hick of an innkeeper! How dare he deny service to SwampFox! It honestly took me a moment to realize what he was saying; I am unused to being denied service or lodgings (because who in their right mind would slight one of the few people who can be trusted to carry important messages and packages both quickly and safely?), so I just couldn't believe the gall of that man. Sure, Dallas was willing to lend SwampFox her disguise hat, but I most definitely did not want to give that fool any coin after that attitude he showed. When I finally regained my composure, I said a few indignant words and stormed out. The rest of the party were wonderful in following soon after.

I suppose this is something I should get used to, but we've been fortunate in staying either outdoors or in the establishments of people more willing to accept coin than to worry too much about the scruples they may have with other races.

Anyway, Ghost pointed out that she would spread the word in Joven and Woodland that a member of the Mercenaries' Guild was turned away in Montvale, so hopefully the innkeeper will reap what he sowed. And even if he doesn't lose custom that way, I got some instantaneous revenge in the form of "Summon Insects" cast on the inn. (No one degrades one of my close friends and gets away with it!) Perhaps next time he'll recall that Hermes is a Trickster as well as a Messenger, and that His followers can act accordingly.

I'm not really sure what SwampFox thought of all this; I think it was mild amusement that I felt such insult on his behalf, anger at being treated that way, and some pride in the fact that the party stood up for him. It's hard to tell what SwampFox feels, though; he never says much, even to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment